- Quebec reported 915 new cases on Wednesday and five deaths. One death occurred in the past 24 hours, while the four others occurred earlier in April.
- Since the start of the pandemic, there have been 354,390 confirmed cases and 10,964 people have died.
- There are 588 people in hospital (a decrease of six), including 152 in intensive care (a decrease of three).
- 55,723 vaccine doses were administered in the last 24 hours for a total of 3,365,575 since Dec. 14.
Premier François Legault says in the coming weeks he will present a roadmap to reopen the province as the rate of vaccinations rise.
Legault said it may be similar to a three-step plan laid out by Saskatchewan tied to the percentage of people who have been vaccinated in different age groups.
But he stressed the rate of transmission of the virus will also be a factor.
Vaccines for teens
Quebec will offer the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine to teens, Health Minister Christian Dubé has announced. The vaccine has already been approved by Health Canada for that age group.
Camp counsellors will be able to get vaccinated now, as they are considered essential workers.
Other young people will be offered a vaccine dose in June, and a booster likely in the fall, when they return to school.
The province has already announced a schedule to make vaccines available to all adults in the coming weeks.
On Wednesday, Health Canada approved the use of Pfizer’s vaccine on teens between the ages of 12 and 15, down from the previous cutoff of 16.
WATCH | Health Canada approves Pfizer for young teens
Top COVID-19 stories today
What are the symptoms of COVID-19?
- New or worsening cough.
- Difficulty breathing.
- Sudden loss of smell without a stuffy nose.
- Gastrointestinal issues (such as nausea, diarrhea, vomiting).
- Sore throat, runny or stuffy nose.
- Generalized muscle pain.
- Loss of appetite.
If you think you may have COVID-19, the government asks that you call 1‑877‑644‑4545 to schedule an appointment at a screening clinic.
To reserve an appointment for a COVID-19 vaccine, you can go on the online portal quebec.ca/covidvaccine. You can also call 1-877-644-4545.
Quebec government reminders for preventing the spread of COVID-19:
- Wash your hands frequently.
- Avoid touching your face.
- Wear a mask or face covering is mandatory in enclosed public spaces across the province.
- Stay at least two metres away from other people as much as possible.
- Self-isolate for 14 days after returning from a stay outside the country.
You can find information on COVID-19 in the province here and information on the situation in Montreal here.