PM Narendra Modi  |  Photo Credit: PTI
- Children represent the future of the country and we will do everything to support and protect the children: PM Modi
- Central government announces ‘PM CARES for Children’ scheme for COVID affected children
- Children orphaned due to COVID to get a monthly stipend once they turn 18 and a fund of Rs 10 lakh when they turn 23
New Delhi: Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Saturday announced that all children who have lost both parents or guardian due to coronavirus infection will be supported under the ‘PM-CARES for Children’ scheme.
“Several children lost their parents due to COVID-19. The Government will care for these children, ensure a life of dignity and opportunity for them. PM-CARES for Children will ensure education & other assistance to children,” PM Modi said in a tweet.
The Prime Minister’s Office (PMO) said in a statement that fixed deposits will be opened in the names of such children, and the PM-CARES fund will contribute through a specially designed scheme to create a corpus of Rs 10 lakh for each of them when he or she reaches 18 years of age.
This corpus will be used to give monthly financial support or stipend from 18 years of age for the next five years to take care of his or her personal requirements during the period of higher education. On reaching the age of 23 years, they will get the corpus amount as one lump-sum for personal and professional use.
The PMO further said that the children will also get free health insurance of Rs 5 lakh under Ayushman Bharat till 18 years and the premium will be paid through the PM CARES fund. The measures being announced have only been possible due to the generous contributions to the PM CARES Fund which will support India’s fight against COVID-19, the Prime Minister said.
PM-CARES for Children scheme includes:
- Fixed Deposit in the name of the child
- School Education: For children under 10 years
- School Education: for children between 11-18 years
- Support for Higher Education
- Health Insurance
Besides, several state governments have also announced financial assistance for the children who lost their parents to COVID-19. Check statewise list here.
Union Home Minister Amit Shah and BJP chief JP Nadda have welcomed the scheme announced by PM Modi for support and empowerment of those children who lost their parents due to COVID.
Originally Appeared Here