A Programme Manager vacancy is available at our Client, Wits Health Consortium’s Clinical HIV Research Unit (CHRU) at the Helen Joseph Hospital in Johannesburg – Gauteng.
Wits Health Consortium (Pty) Limited (WHC) is a wholly owned Company of the University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg (South Africa) under its Faculty of Health Sciences. WHC provides Faculty with a legal framework within which to operate the research and other activities necessary to support its academic objectives. In addition WHC offers a range of products and services to the Academics conducting these activities in order to assist with the management thereof.
The Clinical HIV Research Unit (CHRU) was initiated in 1998 by Professor Ian Sanne, under the auspices of the University of the Witwatersrand (WITS). Today the CHRU is an HIV/AIDS, TB and Cervical Cancer research syndicate of the Wits Health Consortium (Pty) Limited (WHC), which is a wholly-owned subsidiary company of WITS.
The CHRU is proudly the first International Clinical Research Site (CRS) of the AIDS Clinical Trials Group (ACTG). To date it remains one of the most successful international sites within the ACTG. The site is substantially funded by the National Institutes of Health (NIH) and USAID/PEPFAR.
Based at the Helen Joseph Academic Hospital in Johannesburg, the CHRU conducts research into HIV-AIDs, carrying out clinical trials that encompass associated dread diseases (TB, Cervical Cancer and other opportunistic infections) and provides technical expertise and assistance, training of health care personnel, quality assurance assessments of sites, and clinical support services.
Main purpose of the job:
- Our fast-growing team focuses on womens cancer prevention and health equity research within the Clinical HIV Research Unit, a division of Wits Health Consortium.
- Were looking for an experienced Programme Manager who will be responsible for the operational management of our womens health research program.
- The Programme Manager will engage with teams from proposal development through project close-out.
- She/he will provide support for all aspects of projects, including planning and implementation, regulatory affairs, financial and grant management, hiring and training, procurement, reporting and closeout.
- Helen Joseph Hospital, Johannesburg
Key performance areas:
- Oversee the womens health research programs research operations, from proposal development through project close-out
- Support investigators, coordinators, and other program staff to ensure that all projects are conducted in accordance with the protocol/plan, standard operating procedures (SOPs), and international regulations
- Develop and monitor project workplans in consultation with investigators, coordinators, and program staff
- Develop budgets, monitor spending, and assist with financial reporting in consultation with investigators and administrative staff
- Plan staffing needs, and coordinate hiring and training as required
- Prepare project-related reports/presentations as requested
- Supervise the programs operational and administrative staff
- Oversee procurement and maintenance of program equipment/supply inventory and storage
Required minimum education and training:
- Masters degree in a health-related field (or similar)
Desirable additional education, work experience and personal abilities:
- Experience with international donor projects
- Familiarity with regulatory procedures in South Africa
- Willingness to travel internationally for at least two 7-day trips per year
- Training in good clinical practices and protection of human subjects
- Passionate about womens health
- Thinks analytically and can work independently
- Has excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Has a can-do attitude
- Has great attention to detail, strong problem-solving skills, and solution-orientated thinking
- Accountable, Assertive, Confident, and Adaptable
Required minimum work experience:
- At least eight years of experience in public health program management or research management
- Excellent organizational, management, and communications skills
- Experience planning, coordinating, and reporting research projects and public health programs
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously and set priorities
- Experience managing personnel from diverse professional backgrounds
- Experience in financial management and procurement
- Excellent computer literacy, writing, and presentation skills
- Demonstrated history of working effectively in a cross-cultural environment
- Good understanding of clinical trials, epidemiology, and public health research
- Only if you do meet the minimum job requirements and experienceas mentioned above, you may submit a detailed updated CV – Please Apply Online
- Please take note that the applicants who do not adhere to the above criteria will not be considered for the respective position.
- The closing date for all applications is 31 May 2021.
- Wits Health Consortium will only respond to shortlisted candidates.
- Candidates who have not been contacted within two weeks of the closing date can consider their applications to be unsuccessful.
- In accordance with our Employment Equity goals and plan, preference will be given to suitable applicants from designated groups as defined in the Employment Equity Act 55 of 1998 and subsequent amendments thereto.
Please note that AJ PERSONNEL is only responsible for the advertising of the advertisement on behalf of their client Wits Health Consortium.
AJ Personnel does not have any salary or other information regarding the position
Employer & Job Benefits:
- Medical Aid and Provident Fund
Learn more/Apply for this position