OCHSNER HEALTH: The Women’s Wellness and Survivorship Center at Ochsner Baptist will be a beneficiary of the virtual Me Time Challenge May 15 through June 15 through the Allstate Sugar Bowl Crescent City Classic and Ochsner Health. Participants can walk, jog, run, cycle, swim or do any activity they choose to accumulate miles. The entry cost is $36 for either the 30-mile individual challenge or the 100-mile team challenge. To register, visit www.ccc10k.com.
HIV SUPPORT GROUP: SAGE New Orleans is offering a free HIV support group for people who are aging with HIV. The 40th anniversary of HIV/AIDS being first identified will be June 5. The first meeting of the Aging Positively HIV support group will be on Zoom on May 13, with weekly meetings planned through December. The facilitator will be Susan Harrington, a marriage and family therapist. To register, visit HIVNOLA.org.
LSU HEALTH NEW ORLEANS: Dr. Aneesha Ananthula, a hematology-oncology fellow at the LSU Health New Orleans, is one of 164 merit award winners from the Conquer Cancer program of the American Society of Clinical Oncology. The awards go to fellows and oncology trainees on the basis of research abstracts selected for presentation at the ASCO annual meeting, which will be held online June 4-8. Ananthula’s research deals with blood clots in veins in cancer patients with COVID-19.
OCHSNER HEALTH: The Leapfrog Group has recognized 13 Ochsner Health facilities, including five partner facilities, with A grades for hospital safety for spring 2021.
Metro area Ochsner hospitals and partner facilities honored are:
- Ochsner Baptist — A Campus of Ochsner Medical Center
- Ochsner Medical Center — New Orleans
- Ochsner Medical Center — Northshore
- St. Tammany Health System (Ochsner partner)
The Leapfrog Group is an independent national watchdog organization committed to health care quality and safety. It updates its safety grades every six months.
GRIEF AND COVID-19 SUPPORT GROUPS: The Akula Foundation is organizing free virtual support groups for grief and COVID-19. The grief support group will meet at 6 p.m. on the first and third Wednesdays of the month, and the COVID-19 support group will meet at 6 p.m. on the first and third Thursdays of the month. For information, call the Grief Support Hotline at (504) 418-0791 or visit www.akulafoundation.com /grief-support.
NATIONAL ALLIANCE ON MENTAL ILLNESS: A variety of free, peer-led support groups have been organized by the New Orleans chapter of the National Alliance on Mental Illness. The usual schedule includes:
- NAMI Connection Recovery Support Groups for people living with mental health conditions meet from 2 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. Wednesdays.
- NAMI Family Support Groups for loved ones and caregivers of individuals living with mental health conditions meet from 6:30 p.m. to 8 p.m. every first Wednesday, from 10:30 a.m. to noon every third Saturday, and from 6:30 p.m. to 8 p.m. every fourth Thursday.
- NOLA Survivors of Suicide Loss Support Groups for those who have lost a loved one to suicide. Register by emailing email@example.com. For more information visit nolasurvivors.com. The group meets from 6:30 p.m. to 8 p.m. every second and fourth Wednesday.
For information, contact Shannon at firstname.lastname@example.org or (504) 896-2345.
NARCONON: For free substance abuse screenings or referrals, call Narconon at (800) 431-1754. For information about benzodiazepines and other substance abuse issues, visit narcononnewliferetreat.org/blog.
SURVIVORS OF SUICIDE SUPPORT GROUP: NOLA Survivors of Suicide Loss is a free, peer-led support group for adults who have lost a loved one to suicide. The usual Zoom meeting time for the group is from 6:30 p.m. to 8 p.m. on the second and fourth Wednesdays of each month; to register to attend a meeting, visit nolasurvivors.com or email email@example.com.
UNIVERSITY OF HOLY CROSS: Free telecounseling is available from 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday through Thursday from the University of Holy Cross. To schedule a session, call (504) 398-2168.
Purchases made via links on our site may earn us an affiliate commission